How It Works
Who can attend?
The Coast to Mountains Preparatory Academy (CM Prep) high school program serves students in grades 9–11 who reside in North Carolina.*
What are the costs?
Coast to Mountains Preparatory Academy (CM Prep) has worked hard to offer private school prices that respect the commitment and investment families make when they enroll their children in private school. Visit our tuition page to learn more.
Are there tuition assistance or financial aid options?
CM Prep is committed to providing all children access to quality educational opportunities. Currently, two scholarship opportunities are available for eligible North Carolina students interested in attending CM Prep. Awards can often cover the full cost of tuition for eligible families! Visit our scholarship page for more program details, eligibility information, and how to apply.
What is my role as a parent?
In high school, students complete most of their work independently. Parents continue to serve as their child's Learning Coaches to support their success. As a Learning Coach, you will
- Help your child stay on track
- Monitor completion of lessons and assessments
- Communicate challenges with your child's teacher as needed
Working with Your Teacher
Students work with their teachers and other classmates during "Class Connect" sessions. In "Class Connect" sessions, students
- Receive live instruction from teachers
- Interact with classmates
- Ask questions and receive real-time support
Students can interact with their teachers and classmates by
- Typing in the chat
- Speaking over their microphone
- Typing and drawing with online whiteboard features
- Joining small group breakouts to work on projects or receive targeted instruction
Expectations for Completing Schoolwork
The following expectations are in place for high schoolers to ensure students are progressing academically:
- Students must earn a passing grade of 70% or above on assignments.
- Students must meet the assigned due dates of lessons and assessments.
- Students must attend live, teacher-led "Class Connect" sessions.
- Students must complete online lessons and can work on these any time of day.
Attending Class Connect sessions and completing coursework according to the assigned pacing schedule will help your student be successful.
In addition to regular classroom instruction, teachers offer support or small group sessions to assist student learning.
High school students are expected to spend 6 hours per course per week. A student who takes five courses and spends 6 hours per week on each one devotes approximately 30 hours to their course work.
- 6 hours per course weekly
- Most work is online
Email is the primary form of communication between the school and families. Learning Coaches and students are required to check and respond to emails daily.
CM Prep students do not have to participate in North Carolina-mandated testing. CM Prep students are required to participate in NWEA testing, which helps measure student growth and proficiency.
A Day in the Life of Online Students
Want to learn more about the daily life of an online high school student? Meet Lily and Arianna!
Get answers to the most common FAQs.
Ready to join us?
Create or access your existing Parent Portal account to begin the enrollment process.
**Coast to Mountains Preparatory Academy is currently enrolling students in grades K–11 for the 2023–2024 school year. Grade 12 will be added for the 2024–2025 school year.